Women’s World Twenty20: Australia’s Tayla Vlaeminck takes a “staggering” catch v India – BBC Sport

Australia’s Tayla Vlaeminck takes a “staggering” catch on debut to dismiss India’s Veda Krishnamurthy in the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 group B game.

FOLLOW LIVE: India v Australia – in-play clips, radio & text

WATCH MORE: ‘Wow!’ – Shrubsole hat-trick ends South Africa innings

Available to UK users only.

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2OPo1qO
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Dozens of bodies found after attack on CAR refugee mission

More than 40 people have been killed and dozens wounded in Central African Republic (CAR), in an attack on a Catholic mission sheltering 20,000 refugees, according to a regional legislator.

The violence in the town of Alindao, some 300km east of the capital, Bangui, began on Thursday when Christian militiamen known as anti-balaka killed Muslims, prompting revenge attacks.

A church was burned, forcing “thousands” of people to flee, the United Nations’ peacekeeping mission in the CAR (MINUSCA) said.

“We have counted 42 bodies so far, but we are still searching for others. The camp has been burned to the ground and people fled into the bush and to other IDP (internally displaced person) camps in the city,” Etienne Godenaha, Alindao legislator, told the Reuters news agency on Saturday.

A humanitarian source also said that more than 40 people were killed, according to Reuters. The UN on Friday said 37 deaths had been confirmed in Alindao, including that of a priest.

On Saturday, the Catholic Church said that the remains of a second priest were recovered in Alindao.

“We found his charred body,” Father Mathieu Bondobo, the vicar-general of the main cathedral in Bangui, told the AFP news agency.

 

The violence came just weeks about 10,000 people ran to a hospital in Batangafo, some 400km north of Bangui, after armed groups looted and burned thousands of homes, three camps hosting 27,000 displaced and a market in the city.

In a statement on Saturday, MINUSCA condemned the latest violence that “resulted in the loss of life, mass displacement of internally displaced people and the destruction of property”.

It also said it had implemented “security measures” to protect civilians who sought refuge near the mission’s military outposts.

One of the world’s poorest nations despite a rich supply of diamonds and uranium, the CAR has struggled to recover from a 2013 civil war that erupted when President Francois Bozize, a Christian, was overthrown by mainly Muslim Seleka rebels.

In response, Christians, who account for about 80 percent of the population, organised vigilante units dubbed “anti-balaka”.

The conflict has killed thousands of people and caused the displacement of a fifth of the country’s 4.5 million population. More than 642,000 have been internally displaced, according to the UN.

Despite electing a new leader – President Faustin-Archange Touadera – in 2016, the country has continued to face political instability and tit-for-tat inter-communal violence.

The Norwegian Refugee Council said last year that the conflict in the CAR topped its list of the world’s most neglected displacement crises.

The UN has about 12,500 personnel deployed in the CAR as part of its MINUSCA mission, one of the world body’s largest peacekeeping forces.

The UN Security Council voted on Thursday to temporarily renew the mandate of the mission until December, amid heated debates about its ability to stem the unrest.

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2zhb3gE
via IFTTT

ATP Finals: Roger Federer beaten by Alexander Zverev in semi-finals

Alexander Zverev reached speeds of more than 140mph with his serve

Roger Federer must wait until 2019 for another chance to reach 100 career titles after semi-final defeat by Alexander Zverev at the ATP Finals.

Zverev, 21, tipped by many as a future Grand Slam champion, triumphed 7-5 7-6 (7-5) at London’s O2 Arena.

He will face Novak Djokovic or Kevin Anderson, who play later on Saturday.

Zverev faced boos at the end of the match after he had – legitimately – stopped a point in the tie-break when a ballboy dropped a ball.

In scenes reminiscent of Naomi Osaka’s victory speech at the US Open when her win was overshadowed by Serena Williams’ outbursts, Zverev was left apologising to both the crowd and Federer after one of the biggest wins in his career.

“I apologised to Roger at the net already, he said it is OK and it is in the rules,” the world number five said.

“I’m sorry this happened. I didn’t mean to upset anybody.”

‘The Pretender’ beats ‘the King’

Former Wimbledon champion Boris Becker, commentating for BBC TV, had said before the match between ‘the King and the Pretender’ that he believed Zverev was a future world number one.

With three Masters titles to his name, the young German has yet to make his mark on the Grand Slams – although his French Open quarter-final this year was a breakthrough.

But now he will get the chance to win the season-ending title, which is second only to the Slams in terms of prestige.

There were moments when Zverev seemed to show a bit too much respect for Federer.

His body shot at the Swiss in the sixth game of the first set was half-hearted and cost him a point, while he volleyed a ball that was well on its way out of the court in the next game – as if not quite believing that the great Federer was able to hit long.

But he oozed confidence when it mattered the most, setting up three set points on Federer’s serve in the 12th game.

Getting there had included a fantastic passing shot after he raced to Federer’s drop shot, and the roar that followed said it all.

He sealed the set when Federer hit a forehand wide and then kept the momentum going early in the second set when he immediately held to love.

The German was never going to get it all his own way, with Federer setting up three break points of his own with a stunning forehand on the line, and taking the game when Zverev could only get a racquet edge to the Swiss’ forehand.

But Zverev wasted no time in breaking back when a Federer forehand went wide and from then on they matched each other to set up the tie-break.

After setting up two match points, Zverev sealed victory on the second one with a fantastic backhand that Federer could not get anywhere near.

More to follow.

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2OOdpJ5
via IFTTT

How it will play out if MPs vote down Theresa May’s Brexit deal

LONDON — As the dust settles on the most chaotic week of British politics in recent memory, one question has become increasingly important. What happens if parliament votes down Theresa May’s Brexit deal?

Early in December, the prime minister will put her deal to a “meaningful vote,” in parliament. As things stand, it’s looking increasingly likely that MPs will reject it.

All opposition parties have vowed to oppose the deal, with only a small handful of rebel Labour MPs set to support the government.

Meanwhile, the Democratic Unionist Party, which props up May’s minority government, say they intend to oppose the deal because of the “backstop” mechanism agreed to by May would mean additional checks on goods passing between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A significant number of Conservative MPs also intend to oppose the deal. Around 20 have already called for a vote of no confidence in May because of the deal with around a dozen more also suggesting they are likely to oppose the deal, both on the Leave and Remain wings of the party.

Anything but a defeat for the prime minister therefore appears unlikely. So what will happen if May does lose that vote? Here’s how it could all play out.

1. A no-deal Brexit

Theresa May
Getty

The first option is to leave the EU without a deal in March next year. There are two distinct types of no-deal exit. A relatively managed no-deal in which both sides acknowledge their inability to sign off a deal, and try to minimise chaos for businesses and people by reaching ad-hoc side agreements in important areas like border controls and cross-border finance contracts.

The alternative is an acrimonious and very hard exit with the UK paying no money and the EU rejecting side-deals. However, such an outcome is unlikely according to Charles Grant at the Centre for European Reform, who believes “those responsible for the chaos would soon become unpopular with their voters; also, the financial markets’ reaction would be more extreme, with a sharp weakening in the value of the pound.”

Neither the EU or the UK want to leave without a deal. Even hard Brexiteers like Liam Fox appear to have awoken to the dangers of such an outcome, with the International Trade Secretary saying on Friday that “a deal is better than no deal.”

However, if May is unable to get a deal through then a no-deal Brexit becomes the default position. However unlikely it may seem, the possibility cannot be ruled out.

2. A general election

Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell
Leon Neal/Getty Images

If May is unable to get a deal through parliament then one option open to her is a general election. This is the option being pursued by the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn who believes he can put enough pressure on May to force her to go back to the country if she is unable to get support for her deal from MPs. It would certainly not be impossible to force an election, but under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act it would require at least 7 Conservative MPs to join the opposition in backing one for a new election to be held.

After the calamitous experience of last year’s general election where May threw away her majority, and with the parties close in the polls, most Conservative MPs are horrified by the prospect of an election for one simple reason: They could lose. The prospect of a radical socialist prime minister would likely be enough to frighten pretty much all Tory MPs away from backing an election.

Tory MP and former minister Guto Bebb, who backs a “People’s Vote,” told Business Insider that he would expect the Conservatives to lose “very badly” if they sought a general election after the deal failed in parliament.

“If the prime minister’s deal fails in parliament, and she decides to call a general election to get a mandate, my expectation is that the Conservative party would lose very badly,” he said.

“The proposition would be: ‘So far we’ve failed, can we have a vote of confidence please?’”

“I just can’t see that being a rational way forward for the government,” he added.

3. Send the prime minister back to Brussels

Michel Barnier
Getty

Part of the justification made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for another election would be to allow him to take over the reins of government in order to renegotiate a deal with the EU. The current line from Brussels is that the deal cannot be re-negotiated. However, if push came to shove, there would probably be room for at least some EU flexibility in order to avoid a damaging no-deal Brexit. The pressure for more flexibility would arguably be even greater if there was a new prime minister and party in Downing Street. However, any renegotiation would require time and the possible extension of the Article 50 process. While the EU has not ruled out an extension they would likely be incredibly reluctant to do so under any but the most extreme scenarios.

4. A People’s Vote

An anti-Brexit protestor
Alex McBride/Getty Images

There is growing cross-party support in Westminster for a so-called People’s Vote — or a second referendum — especially among Liberal Democrat and Labour MPs, but also some prominent Conservative MPs including Dominic Grieve and Jo Johnson.

There are several factors working against supporters of a People’s Vote, however. Critics say it would undermine trust in democracy and potentially cause civil unrest. They also point out that there is a very good chance the Remain campaign would simply lose again, which would defeat the object of the exercise from many of their perspectives.

Downing Street, however, is vehemently opposed to another referendum, and Theresa May has said it would be “a gross betrayal of our democracy.” A Conservative government would almost certainly never legislate for such an outcome. The party would be eviscerated at the polls and its leader ousted immediately.

But there’s a reasonable chance that Labour could be in power before March next year. By far the most likely route to a second referendum would be through a Labour government which has explicitly kept the option of supporting it on the table, despite Jeremy Corbyn’s personal reluctance to support one.

5. Voting for May’s deal a second time

Theresa May
Getty

Another scenario which could see disaster averted is a second vote on the deal. Theresa May — or whoever succeeds her after being forced out — could put the current deal, or a marginally renegotiated one, before parliament a second time. Faced with the prospect of a terrifying no-deal or another referendum, or general election, it remains possible that sceptical MPs could be cajoled into supporting it. However, such a turnaround would be dependent on the first vote being relatively close. If May loses the vote on her deal by a large margin, as it currently seems feasible that she will, then it will be much harder to persuade MPs who rejected it the first time, to risk the wrath of their supporters by going into the voting lobbies to support her deal a second time.

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2DJMSeH
via IFTTT

Ibrahim Mohamed Solih sworn in as new Maldives president

Maldivian President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has taken the oath of office before thousands of people and hundreds of foreign dignitaries, vowing to end systematic corruption and investigate alleged human rights abuses under his predecessor, Abdulla Yameen.

Solih received a 21-gun salute after being sworn in on Saturday as the Indian Ocean island nation’s seventh president at a special parliamentary assembly at the national football stadium in the capital, Male.

Addressing the crowd of 12,000 people, the 54-year-old pledged to see through his promises to establish justice and equality, as well as “eradicate corruption and theft”.

“We need to focus on moving ahead, to take back the rights we have been denied, and save our nation from its dismal condition,” he said.

Solih is expected to appoint a 19-member cabinet and name the attorney general later on Saturday.

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi was among the more than 300 foreign dignitaries at the ceremony in Male [Ashwa Faheemm/ Reuters]

‘Justice for those abused’

Solih won a contentious election in September promising to restore democracy after a wide-ranging crackdown on dissent during Yameen’s five-year term.

The former president had jailed or forced into exile nearly all opposition leaders, banned protests, detained Supreme Court judges and suspended parliament for long periods of time.

Most politicians who were sentenced during Yameen’s tenure were released following Solih’s shock win on September 23.

WATCH: Maldives opposition claims presidential election victory (2:27)

“We need to help seek justice for those subject to abuse and unfair treatment. The treasury needs to be strengthened. Unaccountable deaths and disappearances need to be investigated and findings disclosed,” Solih said on Saturday.

“For us to move ahead as one nation, such grave matters need to be addressed immediately.”

India‘s Prime Minister Narendra Modi was among the more than 300 foreign dignitaries at the ceremony in Male.

The visit is Modi’s first to the Maldives after years of tense relations between the two countries because of Yameen’s embrace of China during his tenure.

Beijing reportedly loaned more than $1.5bn to fund a massive infrastructure boom under the former president.

In an apparent reference to the Chinese debt, Solih, who has promised an “India first” foreign policy, said the Maldives was “in a precarious financial situation” because of “reckless mega development projects undertaken purely for political gain”, and appealed for help from foreign countries and international organisations to address the issue. 

Modi, on a Facebook post on Friday, already pledged India’s help to the Maldives “in the areas of infrastructure, health care, connectivity and human resource development”. 

Meanwhile, Yameen, who lost a court challenge to overturn his poll defeat, did not attend the ceremony, nor did several legislators from his party.

Mohamed Nasheed and Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, two former presidents who were jailed during Yameen’s time in office following trials that were widely condemned as politically motivated, were both present at the oath-taking ceremony.

Solih, who was fielded as a common candidate by a coalition led by Nasheed and Gayoom, said reforming the judiciary so that judges can be free from external influence was “the highest priority area” for his government.  

Reporting by Zaheena Rasheed

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2RZmosB
via IFTTT

Women’s World T20: India v Australia – in-play clips, radio & text

India v Australia in the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 – in-play clips & radio – Live – BBC Sport


<!–




http://nav.files.bbci.co.uk/searchbox/1.0.0-137/script/html5shiv.min.js
window[‘searchboxIEVersion’] = 8;


window[‘searchboxIEVersion’] = 9;



<!–

<!–
<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–


Summary

  1. India win toss and bat; Raj ruled out
  2. Aus bring in Vlaeminck for Wareham
  3. TMS commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra
  4. Both sides already qualified for semi-finals
  5. Winner will top the group
  6. New Zealand meet Ireland in later game (20:00 GMT)


Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2DJGXpR
via IFTTT

Trump says he should have gone to Arlington on Veterans Day

Interested in Donald Trump?

Add Donald Trump as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Donald Trump news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

President Donald Trump says he should have visited Arlington National Cemetery to commemorate Veterans Day — a traditional presidential act.

Trump, who rarely admits a faux pas, told “Fox News Sunday” that “in retrospect, I should have” gone, but he was busy on calls and had just returned from abroad.

Trump was criticized for canceling a trip to an American cemetery in France on Saturday after his helicopter was grounded by bad weather. He was in Paris for ceremonies marking the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. He visited another U.S. cemetery before leaving Paris.

Trump tells Fox that he went to Arlington on Veterans Day last year. But while Trump has been to Arlington, he was in Asia on Veterans Day last year.

Read More

from Viral News Bulletin https://ift.tt/2RX7rr5
via IFTTT

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started